roper packing is critical to a successful move. Your possessions represent both an emotional and a monetary investment which deserves the best care available.
Consider using a professional packing company to ensure your possessions arrive at your new home safely. Even if you are on a tight budget, it is recommended that you use the services of professional packers for your most delicate items like china and breakables.
If you decide to do some or all of your own packing, arrange for plenty of packing cartons, paper and tape. You can buy packing supplies from most local storage companies.
The key to good packing is organization:
- Use the right size boxes. Put heavy items, like books, in small boxes; light items, like linens and pillows, in bigger ones.
- Don’t leave empty spaces in the boxes. Fill in gaps with clothing, towels, or packing paper. Movers often won’t move boxes that feel loosely packed or unbalanced.
- Pack as much as you can in one room before going to the next room
- Pack the out of season items first
- Pack the seldom used items next
- Leave the must have items to last, such as soap, towels, toiletries, coffee, paper cups and plates, paper towels, kleenex, medications, etc.
- Do not pack valuables such as jewellery, precious stones, coin and stamp collections or money. It is best to take these items with you.
- Label each box with the room it’s destined for and a description of its contents. This will help you and your movers know where every box belongs in your new home.
- Make sure all boxes can close properly and sealed so the tops are flat. If you over-pack a box, you risk damage to the contents.
- Put curtain rods, and dresser, shelving, bed and table hardware, such as bolts and screws, in plastic bags and tape each bag to the item or label each bag and place in a carton labeled." set up box"
- Do not exceed 50 pounds in weight per box and make sure the lids close flat
- Do not pack dangerous or flammable items such as lighter fluid, paint, oily rags, matches, charcoal, pool chemicals, bleach, oven cleaner or ammunition as they can explode and cause damage to your shipment. Movers are not licensed to carry dangerous goods on the moving van.
- Keep an inventory list of each box and its contents. This will be necessary if a box goes missing and you need to make a claim.
- Get everyone involved by making a task list, then dividing out the jobs that each person can do. Organizing your household will not only save you time and energy, but will make your whole family feel like part of the adventure.